A Sandpoint, Idaho General Contractor
Blog Header Photo

Online Blog > Previous Entry 9/12/2016 > 3/21/2017 - Cabin Demolition > Next Entry 7/16/2017

Subscribe to our RSS feed to automatically receive new blog entries

Every year I have a grand intention to update my blog at least monthly and on time, but then we get so busy actually doing the work and enjoying family time and other projects. And then there is year-end and tax preparation and all the farm chores to keep us busy.

And so some months have slipped by since my last blog entry, except that at least I have updated the main body of my website, including videos on three shops and garages with apartments that we have completed. Now, we are in a time where the frost is coming out of the ground, and the county has imposed load limits on county roads, and our next two projects are planned with one of them contracted and ready to go.

While load limits are imposed, we can't pour concrete, but we can get the site ready, and in this case the original plan was to attempt to remodel an existing cabin. However, we worked the homeowner through the design process using our software, which we pretty much don't charge anything for this service. Then, we calculated the construction costs of the desired cabin versus a demolition of the current cabin and a completely new plan, and the costs were so close, and there were so many limitations and problems with the old cabin that the homeowner opted for demolition and new construction.

With load limits on, we can transport our mini excavator to the job with no problem regarding the limits, and it is quite a capable machine. I was actually impressed that the old floor platform could support the 8,000 lb. load without problems, even though there was quite a bit of rot to the old pilings that supported the cabin and to the rim joist.

We bagged all of the fiberglass insulation, and we can normally find new owners for it by placing it for free on the local Craig's List. All of the metal we recycle at Pacific Steel and Recycling in town, and a lot of the old fixtures we put in storage for the homeowner. All of the doors and windows were given away. For the remainder of the materials, it is most efficient to simply burn them completely. We save as many boards as possible, but it costs more than it is worth if there are too many nails and wires and other things in the boards. To recycle everything means much greater labor costs and, frankly, risks to workers. It is most efficient to demolish by machine and have very little processing by hand.

As part of the demolition, we needed to keep the current electrical service in service, so we actually detached a portion of the utility room that contained the meter and electrical panel and the overhead service mast. Later in the spring, we expect the utility company to arrive and install a new overhead pole, upon which we will place the new service entrance.

In the eaves of a portion of the cabin, we discovered newspapers from June of 1966 with stories about America's manned space program as it was advancing toward moon landings several years later.

The old cabin was set back a little on the lot compared to the neighbor's, and that obscured the view a bit. The new cabin will be placed a little further down the lot, and we should be able to take advantage a little more of a portion of this view (which was taken from the neighbor's two doors down):

And here is a drawing from our design software of the new cabin design. Now, hopefully load limits will come off soon, and then we can get to work pouring the concrete foundation: